The Executive Director, Global Data Strategy & Solutions is the principal technology leader for data services and governance at the company. The Executive Director and their team help lead the definition, implementation and adherence to organization’s data governance frameworks, processes, and systems, to drive strategic use of data, while applying principles of innovation and efficiency.
As a member of the GTS Leadership Team, the Executive Director Global Data Strategy & Solutions is an active contributor to developing and executing company’s technology strategy, defining necessary technology investments, and driving transparency in prioritization and planning. The Executive Director and their team are responsible for ensuring that strategy is fully aligned with business needs, positioning technology services to deliver and realize compelling business value.
The Executive Director closely manages the landscape of data technology and solutions used by business teams. They collaborate with other GTS leaders to identify risks, interdependencies, and opportunities to inform financial responsibility, robust planning, and reliable execution, and partners with GTS Shared Services to ensure adherence to company’s technology architecture, security & compliance, and system and project life cycle governance.
The successful candidate is a dynamic leader and business relationship manager who brings deep data strategy and governance domain knowledge with a business-minded approach to running technology projects. Deep experience in both on premise and cloud/SaaS environments, the ability to manage multiple projects across different functions in a global, geographically diverse environment are all critical success factors for this role. An ideal candidate will adapt communication and problem-solving skills to accommodate customers, partners, and staff to reach consensus, and build stakeholder relationships to ensure the data and analytics technology landscape supports the operations of a modern biopharmaceutical environment.
Essential Functions of The Job
Data Strategy & Governance
- Responsible for establishing, evolving, and promoting adherence to company’s enterprise data strategy, governance framework and data management framework.
- Design, build and maintain the data strategy, technology architecture and project roadmap.
- Chair the executive data steering committee for strategic decisions and roadmap related to data in the enterprise.
- Effectively communicate status, value, and importance of various data programs and projects to executive members, business stakeholders, and technical teams.
- Lead, build and manage technical teams of data engineering, enterprise data architecture, data ops, data governance, data services and analytics.
- Work closely with stakeholders to establish and maintain enterprise data governance policies and procedures, standards.
- Enforce data lifecycle and quality management and ensure compliance with appropriate data privacy and security policies and regulations.
- Ensure the availability of data technologies that help deliver data as a product and ensure proper data governance: Data Catalogs & Glossaries, Master Data Management (MDM), Reference Data Management (RDM), Quality Management, Best-in-class cloud data platforms, monitoring and scheduling tools.
- Ensure the appropriate level of governance is applied for important data assets.
- Enable data usability, availability, quality, efficiency, data insights and maximum value from data to drive revenue, optimize processes, ensure compliance, and reduce costs.
- Drive enterprise data innovation by staying current on new software, tools, platforms, methods, standards, and industry trends and partner with business teams to identify novel business use-cases and applications
- Lead design of data architecture and analytics platforms and infrastructure. Automate data collection and processing and create algorithms to make data analytics consistent and pain-free
- Effectively communicate data culture within the enterprise by infusing data literacy into every business unit.
- Communicate best practices and foster culture of data democracy.
- Establish cadences and mechanisms to engage with business users to proactively propose enhancements or new technologies that are aligned with long-range plans.
- Partner with GTS colleagues, business users and subject matter experts to develop business cases that justify and prioritize initiatives while adhering to overall business goals.
- Define solutions and customer success factors with the goal of delivering solutions that meet business requirements in a timely, compliant, and financially responsible manner.
- Liaise with vendors, technology partners, audit, and compliance to coordinate system implementation and change activities.
- Engage with peers to define, sponsor, and execute continuous improvements.
- Provide leadership to IT colleagues focusing on their development with alignment to supporting business goals.
- Cultivate a high-performance, inclusive, and diverse team culture.
- 15+ years of professional experience in Analytics, Data Governance, Data Management, or related roles.
- 10+ years of proven leadership success at a senior level, directing a team of director-level direct reports and associate-level staff
- Must have proven business and technology skills relevant to the domain, with success providing customer-oriented technology solutions
- Demonstrated experience influencing key stakeholders across the organization and within complex contexts
- In-depth knowledge of biopharmaceutical technology business solutions and their interdependencies.
- Accomplished in building of teams and development of people, comfortable working with a broad cross section of people in direct and matrixed relationships.
- Demonstrated success as a change agent leading significant transformational initiatives in organizations
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to communicate that inspires and motivates staff and maintain alignment with the technology and business strategy
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning, and execution skills
- Ability to build consensus, make decisions based on many variables, and gain support for major initiatives.
- Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and practices, and how other enterprises are employing them
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic staffing plan that ensures the right people are in the right roles at the right time, and employees are highly engaged and satisfied
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts and technologies to business leaders, and business concepts to the IT staff.
- High level of service and internal/external client orientation as well as driver of innovation for IT business solutions and operational efficiency.
Education Required - Masters (preferred) or Bachelor Computer Science, Data Science or related discipline in combination with relevant experience
Travel - Periodic domestic and international travel – Less than 10%
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit, Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
*Job Location: Remote USA