The Manager, Scientific IT Support is responsible for ensuring IT support is provided to scientists, which includes but is not limited to; standard and device-connected computer endpoints, mobile devices and peripherals, network and storage services, telephony, Audio/Video conferencing, and the delivery of specialized solutions in a dynamic and collaborative IT environment.
On a day-to-day basis, the Support Manager will be responsible for resolving issues and/or requests from people in our organization. In certain situations, this may require coordinating with multiple SMEs from IT, managed service provider and/or IT.
In addition, the Support Manager will oversee the Helpdesk operations and ensure that that scientists’ IT needs are met efficiently and effectively and with the level of quality necessary to succeed in their mission.
In addition, the Support Manager will plan and manage the lifecycle of vital laboratory support systems (computers), by leveraging a high level of familiarity of lab workflow to support data acquisition and data processing workflows, both locally and in the cloud.
The Support Manager will work directly with IT Administrative staff on procurement and maintenance of endpoint-centric resources, including hardware, support/maintenance, and software licenses renewal.
Manage HelpDesk and Endpoint Support – 35%
• The Scientific IT Support Manager will lead G2D2 HelpDesk and Endpoint support team to maximize scientific productivity.
• Manage the HelpDesk escalation process, identify opportunities to resolve issues in the most timely/effective manner.
• Handle escalated issues, address roadblocks and resource or quality issues.
• Coordinate with vendors as needed to manage and deliver successful services to G2D2 scientists and staff.
• Participate in Continuous Service Improvement processes as part of G2D2 IT service delivery lifecycle.
• Ensure quality of service delivery through the generation of periodic support metrics on support quality and escalation
• Participate in budget planning and management for associated services.
• Ensure support and end-user facing documentation and resources are effective and up to date.
• Serve as the main point of communication to G2D2 users for service issues, interruptions and improvements.
• Coordinate/Provide On-call and/or After-hours support as necessary.
Manage/Provide Lab/Research IT Support – 35%
• Provide direct support and troubleshooting for lab workflow on device attached systems.
• Diagnose and support hardware, software, and interface issues.
• Facilitate escalation to vendors, when applicable.
• Manage lab computer lifecycle, including onboarding/Offboarding, coordinate the upgrade process when applicable, and plan for end-of-life, when necessary.
• Manage data security and continuity requirements and delivery.
Manage G2D2 Assets – 15%
• Manage the G2D2 Endpoint, Mobile fleet and supporting inventory ensure effective lifecycle, deployment, security, backup.
• Manage the G2D2 endpoint software licensing and procurement processes.
• Oversee software/patch testing and release process.
Service and Staff/Contractor management – 15%
• Ensure effective utilization of available resources (staff, contractor, MSP, vendor, as applicable)
• Provide direct supervision, management and coaching to staff.
• Participate in annual review, goal setting for direct reports.
• Minimum of 10 years of IT experience
• Minimum of 5-7 years providing IT support in a research environment, preferable biological sciences
• Communication, Organization and Problem-Solving Skills
• Strong customer service ethic is critical to success. Ability to effectively manage escalated customer service or quality issues is required.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work directly with people across the organization.
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
• Ability to work collaboratively and lead peers by example within a distributed team.
• Strong problem-solving skills are essential. As is taking ownership to ensure timely resolution, a strong sense of urgency, and the ability to plan, organize and successfully execute in an environment under time and resource pressures.
• Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Patient/Stakeholder Centricity.
• Experience supporting Windows 7 and 10 computers in an Active Directory Domain environment.
• Experience with image-based deployment, software and patch deployment.
• Experience with Shell scripting.
• Experience with iSupport and Service Now.
• Experience with research applications (Waters, Agilent, Leica, Perkin Elmer, ThermoFisher, SCIEX).
• Familiarity with Lab management solutions, ELN and LI.