The impact you’ll make:
We are looking for a talented and passionate lead engineer who has the desire to oversee development and maintenance for a subset of company backend web services. These services support our mobile and web ecommerce products - the primary driver of $9B in annual revenue.
This role requires a resourceful individual, a persistent problem solver, and a strong hands-on engineer.
This is a great opportunity to have a big impact as part of a growing team who in the midst of technology and process transformation.
What you’ll do:
• Build a deep understanding of existing systems
• Participate in, or lead design reviews with peers and stakeholders
• Write code as needed, but also thoughtfully delegate coding tasks to team members
• Review code developed by other developers, providing feedback on style, functional correctness, testability, and efficiency
• Triage system-wide issues and identify root cause of incidents
• Work with Principal Architects to plan and develop the Architectural Runway in support of new business features
• Identify and resolve existing critical technical debt
• Build transparent systems with proper monitoring, observability, and alerting
• Plan for robust build, test, and deployment automation
• Work with product stakeholders and frontend developers to understand the essence of requirements and to provide pragmatic solutions
• Work within an Agile framework, yet with focus on results more than process
What we’re looking for:
• 5 or more years of professional experience building/designing/supporting highly available web services
• Strong knowledge within the Java stack, including the Spring framework and/or JBoss
• Understanding of distributed systems – performance bottlenecks, fault tolerance, and data consistency concerns.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions and recommendations
• Experience with cloud environments
• Understanding of relational databases
• Experience building mission critical, highly available systems running 24x7.
• Desire to work with a team of engineers at all levels of experience
• Desire to mentor junior developers, maximizing their productivity
• Good written and spoken communication skills