As the Director of Engineering (Platform) you will lead and contribute to a cross-functional infrastructure and security team. Working alongside product teams, engineering and DevOps leaders, you will develop technology roadmaps, assist in the architecture and development of foundational systems and implement innovative orchestration tools, monitoring, information pipelines and foundational infrastructure platforms to support our growing portfolio of products focused on delivering value to educators and students.
Our Platform team works on challenging product and infrastructure-focused problems. Our systems are built to process and provide real-time and near real-time data to drive product capabilities and ensure accurate analytics.
• You will lead, manage and hire for the Platform team with a steady, agile and hands-on leadership approach
• You will contribute to all things Platform development and deployment, including the selection of scalable architecture solutions, CI/CD strategies, engineering processes, peer-reviewed coding, and enhancing platform security
• Drive impact through Engineering Managers and Staff Engineers by promoting sound engineering practices, regularly assessing the technical state of teams, and providing mentoring, coaching, and sponsorship.
• Create a high-trust, ownership-oriented environment
• Ensure our solutions are scalable, balanced, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time.
• Be accountable for the technical vision and long-term strategy for the digital platform.
• Design and evolve the organization structure based on business needs.
• Foster a working environment that supports company’s cultural values. Act as a role model and engage in discussions and feedback to ensure the intent of the culture statement is integrated into day-to-day activities, planning and communications.
Skills And Experience
• 10+ years of relevant experience; including 4+ years leading a team and 5+ years as a developer
• Experience with a tech stack that is similar to ours: AWS, Node.js, React, GraphQL, REST, SQL/NoSQL databases designed in a microservice architecture.
• Experience growing the skills and leadership capacity of engineering teams
• Demonstrated experience using major cloud platform services and architectures to build consumer-facing products
• Prior experience working in Lean and Agile environments - Hypothesis testing, MVPs, Iterative development
• Experience building psychologically safe environments that encourage everyone to contribute their ideas and feedback to the conversation
• Experience working with cross-functional teams and collaborating across all areas of the business to align stakeholders with competing priorities
• Proven ability to tie the organization’s goals, both big and small, to build technology solutions that enable and drive growth.